Monday, March 23, 2009

A hot cup of...chocolate cake?

Seriously.

Chocolate Cake. In a cup. From the microwave.

From "Yorkie's" friend in Scotland (my comments in italics and Yorkie is someone's online moniker from a message board where I saw this, don't actually know her personally):

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
Most dangerous cake recipe in the world

4 tablespoons SR* flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional) - but why would you want to omit?
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.
Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using)
and vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. (I put my 1100 watt microwave down to 90%)
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT!
(this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous)

This recipe is the most dangerous in the world because it means we're only ever 5 minutes away from chocolate cake.


* Self-Rising flour. Made my own by adding some baking powder and a pinch of salt to the flour. A real mixture from the discussion thread was 1c. AP flour, 1/4 tsp. baking powder and a pinch of salt. It was also suggested that AP flour alone would be fine but may not rise as much. Mine rose and then fell several times.

Mine turned out slightly dry, so for Craig's I added a tiny bit more milk and reduced the cooking time to 2:45. I also used Andes chips. It's not like it is from the oven, but it is warm and gooey and chocolaty. Great fun for kids to watch rise in the microwave too.

Oo la la. Only missing some ice cream.

---

Speaking of good things from a cup, Big I is in love with his new sippy cup. Too bad he hasn't figured out how to tip it up and actually get liquid from it yet.












1 comment:

  1. Isaac is getting to be quite the for the camera. Brisco has a taste for bare feet? My vocal not working here at work but I can just here Big I giggling

    ReplyDelete